Thursday, September 6, 2007

"Schools Out Forever"

About four or five years ago, my last ex and I were wandering around the rural roads of Washougal where we were living temporarily. We came across this crazy old school and for some reason, I just became obsessed with it. Like I had some sort of connection to it that I couldn't remember. I wanted to go talk to the people who lived on the property, but my ex would have none of it. We wound up driving off. I kept wanting to make a return visit, but she would have none of that either. Obviously I was in a bad situation.

I tried finding this place after I got my new camera, but couldn't find the right road. After my journey to Dougan Falls, I decided to take this other road in the chance that it might be there, and sure enough, there it was. I drove up the driveway, but no one seemed to be home. The place is still fascinating, but I don't feel as intensely about it as I did then, though as I am writing this, I am more and more. I took these photographs from the road, feeling too impolite in taking photos from the property without permission from those it belongs to. I will try to visit when they are home again, sometime, and ask their permission. It is a fascinating place.